Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By 7continents

Posted on: November 22, 2008 at 2:58PM

The ancient Uluwatu Temple is a spectacular site from which to view a picture perfect Balinese sunset. Upon entering the grounds, we were approached by locals offering to protect us, for a fee, from the monkeys populating the area. They were such cute little monkeys; how much trouble could they be, right? Wrong! In a split second, a monkey lunged, snatching my husband's glasses from his face, then scampered up a temple wall where he proceeded to break them apart! A local ransomed the remains of the spectacles with some food but by then, they were useless. Besides the tip for the ransom, we were forced to find an English speaking optician on our next stop in Tokyo, at a cost of almost $600. The $5 fee for "monkey protection" looks quite reasonable now. If you choose to brave the monkeys alone, take great care to secure anything that could attract a curious primate interested in glasses, earrings, cell phones or purses. Enjoy the sunset! And contemplate just how close a relative we may be to some very clever little monkeys... report a problem

You are posting a reply to Monkey Business!

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions