Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Get away from the crowds

By Guest

Posted on: November 03, 2008 at 5:00PM

When you think of Ireland you think of traditional Irish pubs with a fire burning in the corner, people singing and playing music and a nice warm pint of Guinness, thick and sloppy. You think of being surrounded by the Irish and listening to the Brogues and chatter and experiencing the "craic". Well perhaps that's the way it was 20 years ago before budget flights and cheap flights across the Atlantic...what you are likely to experience now is a pub filled with not only with music and song and pints of thick and sloppy Gunniess but also filled with at least 10 other Americans and lets not forget the Spanish, French, Italians, English, Australians and Kiwis. I find Dublin rather annoying. It packed full of tourists and has been flooded in recent years with immigrants from the European Union. IN fact it can be quite tough to actually locate a true Irishman (or woman) in Dublin. I also got quite bemused by the fact that everyone wanted to sell me a stuffed Leprechan. Now if this is the Ireland you want to experience then Dublin, Galway and to some degree Cork are the destinations for you. If you want something more traditional then head North. Now, the North of Ireland usually sends up images of war torn streets and people with guns but let me assure you….its really not like that anymore. I think you’d have a better chance of finding someone with a gun in New York City. Yet the ‘troubles’ did have an impact on tourism in Northern Ireland in that there was none and this is a region that is just beginning to discover itself now. There are so many destinations that you will literally be the only foreigner in the town and the people (all genuine Irishmen & women) are exceptionally friendly and welcoming. By far the two best places to visit to experience the ‘real Ireland’ are Portaferry, County Down and the area around Devenish Island, Co Fermangh. I can highly recommend the Fiddlers Green Pub in Portaferry (one of around 13 in the small seaside town), an absolute haven for nature lovers and Devenish Island, reached only by ferry from Trory, has some of the best monastic remains and art in the whole of Ireland. If you are going to the Emerald Isle I highly encourage you to try to North of the country. You’ll find it untouched and wonderful Devenish Island, Co Fermanagh http://www.enniskillen.com/devenish_island.htm Portaferry, Co Down http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Portaferry-Portaferry-P7131 report a problem

You are posting a reply to Get away from the crowds

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions