Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

A jewel of a restaurant in a jewel of a Lake - Lake Como

By cal19

Posted on: October 24, 2008 at 6:51PM

The highlight of a trip to Lake Como, a jewel in Northern Italy, is to have lunch or dinner at Locanda Dell' Isola Comancina, simply known to locals as "The Island." Situated in the center of Lake Como, this small island offers big views and an incredible tasting experience. This is not the typical tourist attraction. The average American may associate Italy with pasta, but this staple is absent from the menu. Locals and tourists come here because the focus of this restaurant is on freshness. For 60 Euro (no credit cards) you will start your first course with an antipasti. Served family style will be platters and bowls of eight differently prepared local vegetables, such as beets, baked onions, carrots, cauliflower and celery and plates of ham and bresaola. Delicious, crusty bread is randomly laid on the table to break with your hands and dip in the juices of your dishes. White wine, as much as you want, is also included in the price. The second course is grilled lake fish, a moist and flaky salmon trout ,filleted at the table. Course number three- my favorite, is the crispy chicken, flattened, fried and baked in the oven to perfection and served with a small salad. (I crave this chicken all year long when I think of the Locanda.) Arriving next is a chunk of fresh Parmesan cheese cut from a huge wheel. This with your fresh , delicious bread and crisp wine is a wonderful fourth course. Course number five are refreshing sliced oranges or peaches, depending on the season ,served with vanilla ice cream. The coolness of the fruit and the sweetness of the ice cream piques your taste buds differently once again. Owner Benvenuto Puricelli takes part in the sixth and last course- the coffee ceremony and tells an interesting story of the island. Spending an afternoon on the most beautiful lake and eating food that is so special will be a memory that will last forever. The feedback I have received after sending numerous people here has been universal. It was the highlight of their trip. www.locanda-isola-comancina.com telephone 39034455083-568755 report a problem

You are posting a reply to A jewel of a restaurant in a jewel of a Lake - Lake Como

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions