Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

The best things in Rome that no one ever tells you to do

By Alexcap1101

Posted on: August 20, 2009 at 7:50PM

Living in Rome for half a year is not nearly enough time to say that I have seen it all. The city is massive and the activities limitless. You can wear holes in your shoes walking the streets for days or you can just sit on different corners sipping cappuccinos and discussing the pattern of the cobblestone. I LOVE Rome and can't wait to go back. Here is a very short list of must-see non-touristy things in bella Roma: 1.) Musei Capitolini Centrale Montemartini http://www.centralemontemartini.org/ This museum is breathtaking. The contrast of the white marble statues against the massive and ominous has-been factory machines is just beautiful. Take a cab unless you are ready to navigate the public transit system (which is easy and very nice if you want to try it). 2.) Il giardino degli aranci (The Garden of Oranges) http://www.italyguides.it/us/roma/rome/aventine/giardino-degli-aranci/parco-savello.htm A perfect and beautiful park atop the peaceful Aventine hill. A must-see. I recommend walking up from the North-West side of the mountain. There is a beautiful mothy cobblestone path that will take you to the garden. There is usually an old man sitting outside the gate that sells roasted chestnuts--my favorite. 3.) Porta Portese The only affordable place to shop for clothing and wares in Rome. Rome is not a cheap city so braving the madness of Porta Portese on Sunday mornings was a must for me. Make sure that your purse has a zipper and that you are holding it tight to your body. The gypsies are ruthless in the market! Once you get over the excitement of it all, the antiques and original art are real treasures to see. 4.) Piazza Santa Maria di Trastevere My absolute favorite piazza in Rome. The nightly scene is right out of Roman holiday. A note to tourists--cross the river! Most hotels are north of the Tevere but most of the real Italian happenings are south of it. If you want an American bar scene, go to Campo dei Fiori at night. If you want to drink a glass of wine and watch Italy unfold around you, go to Piazza Santa Maria di Trastevere. Just perfect. Ok, that is all for now. I hope that this helps in your trip planning. Enjoy Roma. That is what it is there for. Just ask any Italian. report a problem

Posted on: August 11, 2011 at 9:44PM

since you have more experience on rome than i do i was wanting some real advice on where to stay - the 2 i'm interested in are the cavalieri ( but am concerned it may be too far) and the exedra in the piazza republica ( but also worried it may be too close to the train station) any thoughts?

Posted on: May 30, 2011 at 7:34AM

Thank you for some insider tips for a new traveler to Rome. Planning to go late summer of 2011.

Posted on: November 17, 2010 at 2:08PM

I rent an apartment for February and march in the historic center, I have been visiting Roma since i was 17 I am 60 now and never tire of it. I agree about the pizza in Piazza St maria di Trastevere and walking the streets at 3:00 am I have had some interesting encounters at that hour! On of the safest cities I know. My list; 1 Take the mini buses through the old city they wind along the medieval street from Piazza to piazza. 2 Take the metro to the mercado neuavo add buy some produce. 3 walk out on the via appia antica and pack a picnic with a nice vino. 4 Buy a metro pass. If you are traveling on a budget you can use it to get to and from the airport using the local train and metro not the express just as quick. go to the fiumicino airport web site. 5 The best gelato is on a side street of the Piazza navona beside the church. If you can not find it eat gelato anywhere it is almost uniformly good. 6 Visit the Palatine hill early in the morning.

Posted on: August 21, 2009 at 10:38AM

I lived in Rome for two years and it's definitely a place that won't ever really leave my heart. The number one that still sticks out in my memory is the Pantheon in the wee hours of the morning... magical! (and thankfully Rome is such a safe place that it's totally ok to be wandering around there at 3 or 4 in the morning)

You are posting a reply to The best things in Rome that no one ever tells you to do

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions