Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By eddieschumann

Posted on: September 30, 2008 at 8:57PM

Central Kyoto is easy to walk but put on comfortable shoes.. and note that on my tour, you can always hop the subway back across town. Do all the big tourist stuff 1st; then hit some of these spots: My walk starts at City Hall (don't bother going in); walk east until the (Kamo) River but don't cross it; go south and if you miss the States, grab a cup of Starbucks and cross the river there. Turn south again and, in the area east of the river, south of Sanjo street and north of the Gion is a maze of streets loaded with cool antique shops. Go ahead and get lost; you'll always hit one of the above streets. If you haven't yet, explore the Gion area and Kiyomizu Temple. The latter is a good walk and probably best to cab it there. But don't forget to stroll down the road and explore the junky tourist shops and fun snacks. Back at the Gion, take Shijo Street west and cross the river again. As soon as you do, take a side street south and grab lunch by following a local into one of the seemingly unnamed tiny cafes. Point or gesture or ask a friendly english speaker and have the chef recommend a dish. You won't be disappointed. Now jump back on Shijo and wander down the busy street. Don't miss the basement food court in Takashimaya Dept. Store or the 7 plus floors of goods! When you get to Daimaru Dept. Store, go north a block and then backtrack east through the fantastic (and covered, if it's wet) Nishiki Food Market until you hit Teramach Shopping Arcade. Wander through the shops headed north and it will dump you at City Hall. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Walk

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions