Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By Guest

Posted on: October 09, 2008 at 8:09PM

Probably my best travel tip for those of us traveling outside the borders of our own country is to check on potential fees assessed by different credit card companies regarding how they handle exchange rates. It's defintely worth shopping around for. Personally, I've been generally happy with American Express, but if you find yourself 'needing' something somewhere that doesn't accept American Express it's well worth your time to check on your Visa/MasterCard/other? issuers' policies with respect to exchange rates...BEFORE you go. Some are handled differently (or more expensively) than others. Also, when in Tokyo try and make it to their version of 'Central Park'...their Botanical Gardens...absolutely beautiful! report a problem

Posted on: August 31, 2009 at 10:33PM

Agreed! Before you leave 1. Have 3 or more credit card options. Call each one to advise your travels dates, make sure your card will work and confirm international exchange fees. 2. Know the exchange rate 3. Easiest place to get money are ATM's at Post offices. Be sure to check the hours of the post offices, each one is different. Some ATM are inside the Post office so if it is closed, you can't get money. Some post offices has ATM's on the outside of the locked area, so be sure to make note of these.

Posted on: August 31, 2009 at 10:33PM

Agreed! Before you leave 1. Have 3 or more credit card options. Call each one to advise your travels dates, make sure your card will work and confirm international exchange fees. 2. Know the exchange rate 3. Easiest place to get money are ATM's at Post offices. Be sure to check the hours of the post offices, each one is different. Some ATM are inside the Post office so if it is closed, you can't get money. Some post offices has ATM's on the outside of the locked area, so be sure to make note of these.

Posted on: October 16, 2008 at 9:44AM

Here's another "Heads Up" for travel. On my bank checking account Visa ATM card, I advised the bank that we would be traveling to Tokyo and Kyoto. I asked if the card would work and what I needed to look for. The bank sent me to Visa's website and I printed many Plus Network locations to consider. When we arrived, I tried to withdraw cash at four Plus-affiliated locations and failed. A call to my bank yielded the following information: after 9/11, many locations are "blocked" by the bank according to some government "guide." They also advised that if enough customers complained, they would request that the appropriate locations be "unblocked." Unfortunately, the time requirement was several months to accomplish the "unblocking." Sooooo, I went to an actual bank office with my Chase credit card, filled out a form, provided identification and took a fairly expensive cash advance. "AskVisa.com" gave me the run-around and referred me back to my local bank, even though they are part of the network. I'm not finished with this issue by a long shot!

You are posting a reply to Travel Tip

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions