Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Budget Travel-Going The Extra Mile

By Guest

Posted on: November 10, 2008 at 10:35PM

Tammy's travel tip is this: Please consider when traveling to Kauai to contribute to the local economy. By this I mean stay with the locals in a cottage or studio, eat in regular locally owned restaurants and make this trip about giving back to those wonderful places you visit. When we travel to Kauai we search for unique hideawyas that are not the most upscale-but quant and comfortable, they are owned by somone native to the islands, not a corporate entity. By doing this you experience the true spirit of the islands and your memories may be even richer. Traveling in this manner enables you to spend on more excursions such as intertubing down the sugar plantation irragation ditches or kayaking to the falls. The time you spend making some of your meals on a bbq on your private lanai could be truly special spent in the company of friends or family. Travel can be more than room service and meals in restaurants. Take time and intertwine with the locals, they have a rich history and can tell about wonderful experiences that they have taken during the course of their lives and you can share your stories too. I find the best trips come from a small budget, our last trip for 2 people, flight, car & lodging was $1482.00 for 7 days. That is a great price for Kauai. We spent roughly $1000.00 on activities and fun, this is what we saved on commecial hotels, we did not go to chain restaurants either and it was an amazing vacation, we talked we laughed and we explored - try it! report a problem

Posted on: November 17, 2008 at 10:35AM

I am currently planning a wedding trip to Hawaii and would LOVE to know how you were able to take such a wonderful trip for so little money!! Please tell me where all you went and where you stayed. We both like to take things "off the beaten path" so anything would be greatly appreciated!

You are posting a reply to Budget Travel-Going The Extra Mile

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions