Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

The Best Kauai (Please Read Before You Go!)

By Guest

Posted on: August 28, 2009 at 5:47PM

If you're seeking luxurious spas and name brand shopping, then Kauai is not the island for you. But if you fancy yourself a bit of a Robinson Crusoe (and Anthony Bourdain), read on ... Best 4WD Excusion -- Head up Waimea Canyon Road, left on Makaha Ridge, then a right on Miloli'I Ridge Road. Five miles of uninterrupted off-roading fun, followed by an orgasmic view of Na Pali and the ocean. Another fun (and less hot/sunny) drive is up past Opaekaa Falls near Kapaa, where you can splash through two babbling streams. Best Shave Ice -- After an adventurous day of driving up and down Waimea Canyon, be sure to stop in downtown Waimea at Jo Jo's Clubhouse, who serves up 60 flavors of the best shave ice in Kauai. Best Mix Plate -- Many have heard about Mark's Corner in Lihue, but it's a second location in Lawai that boasts a bigger menu and longer hours (until 8pm), and is adored by locals. Get the mix plate with Teri Beef, Beef Stew and Chicken Katsu (I suggest you substitute it with their famous Korean Chicken). You won't regret it! Best Secret Falls -- From the 50 Highway south of Lihue, turn on Kipu Road and head towards the mountains. Park near the bridge and walk through 6-ft. tall grass to get to the falls, complete with a rope swing and a big pond! Be careful jumping in. Best Secret Lava Pools -- From the highway near Princeville, turn off the First Kalihiwai Road in Kilauea, then right on the first dirt road. Hike down to the beach, then turn left and keep lava hopping! Bring your best water shoes! Best Loco Moco -- It's this hamburger beef-rice-egg-gravy concoction, not a jump off Shipwreck beach's cliff, that makes a boy a man. You must get to Hanalima Bakery near Lihue before 12:30pm on the days they're open to complete this mission. Best Souvenir Shopping -- CostCo, Wal-mart, both in Lihue. I found Whaler's General Store to have a good variety at okay prices. Stay out of the Hilo Hottie type of tourist traps. And for Hele's sake don't fall for the pick-a-pearl-and-pay-$200 trick. Don't you know pearls don't grow in Kauai? Best Hotel - Many (including us) are impressed by the Grand Hyatt, with its man-made waterfalls, restaurant on the water and sprawls of necking-friendly gardens and balconies. But we found the Sheraton's own Sheraton Beach (one of the best/safest snorkeling site on the island) and water slide to be just our cup of tea. Dude, water slide! report a problem

Posted on: August 28, 2009 at 6:57PM

I agree 10,000% ... (that's 100% squared.) Excellent review and recommendations from Juwelz. Everyone planning to visit Kauai should read this thoroughly. The read it again. Then print it out and sleep next to it. ~D))

You are posting a reply to The Best Kauai (Please Read Before You Go!)

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions