Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Yom HaShoah in United Kingdom

By marry1

Posted on: September 19, 2012 at 2:41AM

Many people in the United Kingdom observe Yom Hashoah, which is also known as Holocaust Remembrance Day. It commemorates the lives and heroism of Jewish people who died in the Holocaust between 1933 and 1945. Many people in the United Kingdom, including those with Jewish ancestry or connections, observe Yom Hashoah on the 27th day of the month of Nisan. Many Jewish communities hold commemorative ceremonies or events to remember Holocaust victims who died during World War II. Synagogue services are held in the United Kingdom during Yom Hashoah and rituals may vary. Activities may include lighting memorial candles and reciting the Kaddish, which is a prayer for the departed, as well as the El Maleh Rahamim, a memorial prayer. Holocaust survivors may also share their stories to groups of people. Educational programs about the historical events associated with Yom Hashoah are shown around this time of the year, particularly to students learning about Jewish history. These programs may include a documentary featuring Holocaust survivors’ stories or a viewing of a Holocaust-themed film. Teaching resources and guidelines may accompany some of these programs. A Holocaust memorial at London’s Hyde Park remembers the Holocaust victims who died during World War II. It consists of two boulders set in raked gravel and surrounded by silver birch trees. And if you go there, you can check the hotel details in http://list-of-hotels.com and find more atrraction here: http://attractions.bz The inscription reads (when translated from Hebrew to English) “For thee I weep. Streams of tears flow from my eyes because of the destruction of my people”. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Yom HaShoah in United Kingdom

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions