Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By Guest

Posted on: May 24, 2011 at 2:11AM

Just returned from a 6 day idyll on Grand Bahama at the Viva Wyndham on Freeport. Aside from the timeshare spiel-- I grant their usefulness to certain people, just not us at our age--it was beautiful. The all-inclusive nature of the resort makes for a very relaxing retreat. It's RIGHT on the beach. Waking up to the soft lapping waves was just what my husband and I needed to recharge the batteries. Beware, though, Freeport is EXTREMELY commercialized--the sight-seeing and shopping (on the one day that we ventured off of the resort) were geared to tourists and there is very little bartering available--even street vendors take credit cards and the prices are comparable to U.S. (or, in many instances, higher)!!! Additionally, Port Lucaya seems to be laid out like a typical New England village and it is SO tourist-y. The music that the live band plays on the weekend is mainly covers of popular U.S. jazz and pop songs!!! Overall the Wyndham is an extremely good place to go if you are just plain TIRED ( I just finished grad school last week), have young children and/or are semi-retired...The resort has everything that you would need to do: food is available nearly 24 hours a day (closer to 18 and it's not that great, lol), there are a variety of water sports available right on the resort (kayaking, parasailing, sailing, snorkeling and scuba), and there are events planned nearly every hour on the hour until midnight. Overall, it's an experience, but if you are looking to get out for a more authentic Caribbean experience, this is probably not it!!! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Freeport

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions