Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Early Bird Gets the...Turtle (Snorkeling at Molokini)

By Guest

Posted on: August 25, 2009 at 6:40PM

During my recent honeymoon to Maui, my new bride and I went snorkeling. Seeing as we hadn't adjusted to the time zone, we were up early (before 6am) most mornings. This worked to our advantage for our exploration of Molokini. Trilogy, the company recommended to us by our hotel (the Four Seasons, Maui), had an early morning excursion (6:30am - 9:15am) that we loved. Sailing out from Ma‘alaea Harbor, the boat took around 50 people out on the water. They served pastries, juices and coffee. As our guides pointed out, the earlier of their excursions several advantages: 1) We wouldn't be swimming during the time of day when the sun is most harmful (even with my SPF rash guard, I was nervous about how well my sunblock would work on my hairy legs in the water). 2) This is the time of day when the nocturnal and diurnal marine life would be active. We saw lots of really cool fish, turtles and even a couple of 4-foot reef sharks (no, I never felt threatened. They were 10-20 feet under us and seemed content to just swim away from us). 3) (Perhaps most importantly for the review) Our boat was the only one at Molokini. While our group of 50 or so didn't feel crowded, I would have hated to have swam with 200-300 people (with more chance that the masses will scare off the good marine life). After a solid 45-60 minute dive, the group reboarded and the boat took us to a popular "cleaning station" (where turtles come to have the fish feed off of their shells). En route, the guides pointed out schools of flying fish. When we hopped back in the water, we saw 3-4 massive turtles. Some kids were scolded for getting too close (the turtles are a federally-protected animal and ot too be harassed). We got another solid 30-40 minutes in the water. Overall, it was a great excursion and I am very happy to have gone so early. We still felt like the whole day was ahead of us, but had already done so much. Adults cost $110 (kids are half-price). The concierge at the Four Seasons arranged the excursion and we were able to add it to our bill (a nice touch). Don't forget the underwater camera!!! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Early Bird Gets the...Turtle (Snorkeling at Molokini)

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions