Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Loma del Mar, a hidden gem in Ixtapa

By Guest

Posted on: April 22, 2010 at 3:28PM

This is an absolutely amazing boutique hotel. I do not normally bother to write reviews for all the hotels I have stayed in; it would take a lot of time and there would be not enough time left to travel. Anyway, I liked this hotel so much that I had to write a review. Besides this, I was surprised not to find any mentions about this hotel in Conde Nast Traveler, and I have been reading this magazine fo more than 10 years. Let me start by saying that its architecture is superb. It reminded me of Andalusia and all those little hotels on Costa del Sol. The apartments are large and well appointed. The decorations are exquisite. They gave me a cable to connect my iPod to the stereo system and that took care of the musical ambiance. Their spa services are top notch. My girlfriend went to their thalasso spa the second day of our stay and liked it so much that she ended up going 3 more times. I do not smoke, but I like to enjoy a habano with a glass of good rum once in a blue moon. This is a non-smoking hotel, but they allowed me to light up a cigar under a nice palapa tucked on the hill. I asked the bartender if they carried Zacapa Centenario, the best rum in the world. They did not and I had to settle for a glass of Havana Club anejo. Sure enough, the next day the bartender comes and tells me they just received a bottle of Zacapa Centenario. I was so touched that I had to enjoy 2 more cigars that week. This is what I call going the extra mile in customer service. The pool is awesome, it has massage jets, and the showers are beautiful in their simplicity. Besides the regular chairs, there are comfortable lounge beds next to the pool. The hotel is small and quiet (I prefer the hotels with less than 50 rooms). I think that only 4-5 suites out of 16 were occupied at some point. For a couple of days we had the whole pool for ourselves. Loma del Mar has a palapa on Playa del Palmar and we spent a few mornings over there. From the beach you can see their La Pampa restaurant on top of the hill. Loma del Mar has 2 restaurants. La Luna De Shiva is next to the pool. La Pampa is up on the hill and has a scenic view of Ixtapa and the beach; it opens only for dinner. (I bet you won't find any info about these restaurants in this magazine) Both restaurants serve excellent food and have a good assortment of wines. We tried several South American wines we never had before and they were very good and reasonably priced. One good thing is that these restaurants are small and have not more than 10 tables; attentive service, intimate atmosphere, skilled personnel. The deserts were to die for. One day we had dinner at Portofino, which is located inside the Las Brisas hotel within walking distance from Loma del Mar. It has excellent food and the service is outstanding; too bad the restaurant has no windows at all. It is quite expensive compared to the other restaurants. Another evening we went to El Faro, located about 150 feet from la Pampa. This restaurant is in the Pacifica Resort in Ixtapa. El Faro is larger than La Pampa, noisier, and pricier. We tried several other restaurants in Ixtapa and Zihua, but they were average or below average and I donít remember their names. All in all, our stay at Loma del Mar was very relaxing. I would definitely stay there again when I return to Ixtapa. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Loma del Mar, a hidden gem in Ixtapa

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions