Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

A Real Mexican Hat Dance

By gleebeck

Posted on: November 25, 2008 at 3:16PM

After you've checked into the "W" Hotel(thank you Starwood!), toured Frieda Kahlo's house, eaten in a charming casita off the Zocalo, and sampled more kinds of tequila than you thought existed, what do to then? Why, have a custom- made Panama hat constructed for your own noggin' , that's what! Quite possibly the best place to do so is at Jardan Hats currently operated by its third generation owner, Miguel. It is best if you are in Mexico City for a few days as the several fittings and final construction will take that long. You will be asked to put your head into quite a strange contraption and the first fitting will be done. All the while, sipping a Cuban rum(I prefer the seven year-old Havana Club Anejo) and smoking a Cohiba Number 2, you will soak up an old-world atmosphere of bespoke hat construction. Most of the ladies(there are a couple men)have been working in this same shop their entire lives, perhaps their mothers did so as well. If you care to, you can inspect the various construction stages and find revealed to yourself that some things are still made as they were for decades, if not centuries: genuine care and great skill continues to be found in this small family business. Finally, your concierge at the "W" rings your room-a delivery has been made! The custom- made box(as well)is opened and there before your eyes is truly a thing of beauty- a two inch brim accompanies the base which is more the shape of your head than your last haircut. The imported fiber feels like fine cloth, a handsomely crafted leather band wraps around outside as well as in. You stand in front of your floor-length mirror(attired in your Panama suit, of course)and, now, the reflection is of someone quite different than you knew before. You would not be miscast in an old Bogart movie. Yes, indeed, when you tango in the taverna later in the evening you can really dance a "mexican hat dance." report a problem

You are posting a reply to A Real Mexican Hat Dance

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions