Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Wheelchairs and Sidewalks

By Guest

Posted on: August 22, 2009 at 2:36PM

If I have to walk even a moderate distance, I usually need my wheelchair in order to last the day. We live in Louisiana and used to live in New Orleans, but still love acting the tourist when we are visiting for more than 2-3 days. While there 3 weeks ago, my children were in charge of pushing the wheelchair during the daytime while hubby was working. Important!! New Orleans French Quarter and adjacent area is not the most handicapped accessible city. Changes in pavement occur frequently and the upkeep of the sidewalks can be terrible. Several times I had to stand up and walk over the holes in the pavement. Also, there are places where you simply must change sides of the street to progress. Also, be aware that you will not be the only type of wheeled transportation on the sidewalk. A gentleman riding a bicycle turned a corner and almost ran into me. During the week I was there the rubber on the front wheel came off 4 times. It will cause wear and tear on both your body and the wheelchair. That was the negative. Here is the positive. The charm of both the city and her inhabitants more than make up for a bumpy ride. Just be aware that if you are wheelchair bound be prepared for inconviences. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Wheelchairs and Sidewalks

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions