Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

How to visit Versailles

By Sarretta

Posted on: August 27, 2009 at 4:44PM

Spend your first night at Versailles instead of in Paris. If you arrive early enough, before the sun sets, you'll be able to enjoy the beautiful grounds (and extended groves) around the Palace. The town itself is lovely and most of the tourists and school children decamp by 5 p.m. Enjoy a nice meal, sleep off the jet lag without feeling you have to go and see the sights as you would if you were in Paris in the evening, and visit the interior of the Palace when it first opens in the morning. You'll be happy you did when you see the buses and crowds arrive after you've been through the rooms. If you can, set up a private tour -- having someone give you the history of the palace, gardens, Trianons, and Hamlet is worth the money. And before you leave France and especially if you're staying in Paris on a Saturday night, take a trip out to Vaux le Vicomte for dinner and a tour of the palace that inspired envy in in a young Louis XIV who promptly had its owner jailed and hired the architect, painter, and gardner to replicate their work on a more massive scale at Versailles. report a problem

You are posting a reply to How to visit Versailles

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions