Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Szczecin, Poland: 90 minutes to the east of Berlin.

By Guest

Posted on: November 06, 2008 at 4:14PM

If you are in Berlin and have always wanted to see a bit of Poland, then 90 minutes to the east is a city called Szczecin. I lived here for a year teaching ESL. This can be a day trip, but if longer you will find that Szczecin, once as part of Prussia, was considered the “Paris of the North”, the heart of the city is a star-shaped square, with long adjoining avenues. In the 16th century it was the Historical capital of the Prussian province of Pomerania, the Dukes' Castle still exists for touring. Szczecin is about nature, the Oder River, lakes, woods and parks that take up half of the city area. The Central Cemetery in Szczecin is the third largest in Europe and one of the largest on the world. I was there for all saints day and saw hundreds of families lighting candles, picnicking, praying, drinking and talking around the cemetery which has huge lawns, fountains and woods with massive sectioned areas for the Polish military, Russians, Jews, Germans, and Catholic priests. Fabulous Polish soups and at either of my two favorite cafes, Café Galleria or Sextants, you can find both of these are within a short walk from the castle. See anyone under 30 years of age? More than likely they speak English.Taxis are inexpensive, but have your destination written down in Polish. Historic! Relax in Nature! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Szczecin, Poland: 90 minutes to the east of Berlin.

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions