Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By Guest

Posted on: September 24, 2008 at 5:45AM

This is our first trip to Prague and we are looking for suggestions on restaurants, blues clubs and entertainment suggestions, what to sse and what to avoid. Thsnks report a problem

Posted on: October 16, 2008 at 3:03PM

Prague is incredibly beautiful. Two things I can recommend are the Mucha Museum and the Old Jewish Cemetary and Holocaust Memorial in Josefov. The former is a museum dedicated to the drawings and paintings of Alphonse Mucha, full of beautiful Art Nouveau movie posters and drawings. Mucha's work is truly beautiful, and the museum is small and manageable- you'll probably spend an hour if you take your time walking through it. Secondly, the Holocaust Memorial was incredibly moving- the synagogue is stark and white except for the millions of names written along the walls. It was a very spiritual experience as people walked through in silence scanning the walls, and really gave us a sense of Prague's history. Certainly don't miss the castle, Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, or just walking through the streets and admiring the amazing architecture- these are just two recommendations that are a little bit different and worth it. Enjoy!

Posted on: September 24, 2008 at 10:26PM

Hello, we went to Prague in June and had a blast! We stayed at the Hilton Old Town, which is very new with sleek modern style. The hotel staff is wonderful, they address you by name and will arrange anything for you, including reservations at places that are supposed to be difficult to get into. The guides to Prague all recommend going to the bridge, the castle, looking at some of the churches and museums--do as much of it as you can. Prague is so beautiful, and amazingly well-preserved. There is sculpture everywhere you look! Be sure to go see the Infant Jesus of Prague (very famous) so you can see all the art in the church. Some of the churches have tombs inside with effigies that are hundred of years old. We took a wonderful boat ride on the river. Be sure not to over-schedule so you have time to just hang out at some of the cafes by the river and watch the world go by. One thing you should be aware of is that the walk up to the castle is very steep, and everywhere you go is paved with stones. Choose your shoes accordingly! (my wedge sandals weren't the best choice). We rode a tram to the ruins of an old fortress that we saw from our boat ride--that was a very steep climb, but the view of the city was gorgeous. There was also a church with a cemetery there that was very interesting: it's the custom there to plant elaborate gardens on the graves. There was also a lot of art (surprise!) on the graves of the more affluent people. We had a truly fabulous evening at Flambee, a restaurant built in the cellars of a 13th (I think) century building. Very expensive, but a unique experience with excellent food and a very extensive wine list. We had another great meal at a wine bar called Monarch, wonderful house-made pates and the best cheese fondue I've ever had. The day we went to Prague Castle we had lunch at Restaurant Vikarka, a charming place serving traditional Czech food. This is the place to try the ubiquitous dumplings. I had roasted duck with honey and dumplings, and it was yum (elsewhere the dumplings were a bit like eating a sponge). We went to a couple of the big nightclubs that are recommended on this and other web sites. Didn't care for them. Mostly very young crowds, very loud, VERY smoky (seems like all the kids smoke). We did, however, find what is now our favorite bar anywhere: Bar and Books. It's small, walls lined with books, great music mix, and the best bartenders we've ever seen, period. If you don't order something from the cocktail menu, you're making a mistake (I recommend the Chelsea Rose). We stayed until closing time twice, getting to our hotel as the sun was coming up. I hope this gives you a few ideas. Prague was a wonderful romantic vacation for us, and I'm looking forward to going back.

You are posting a reply to What To Do/See

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions