Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Live like a true prince in Les Baux

By Guest

Posted on: October 01, 2008 at 9:37PM

In touristy but stunning Les Baux, Provence, skip the admittedly beautiful but expensive hotels at the base of the village and opt instead for the more distinctive, troglodyte and remarkably affordable three-room Le Prince Noir built into the rock at the top of the village. Here my husband and I had the evocatively-lit village to ourselves at night (along with the cats and a few hundred residents), an incomparable view from Le Bijou apartment, a fabulous terrace breakfast on the roof of the village, and, something truly priceless: the chance to sleep next to works of art by some of Franceís most famous twentieth-century paintersóno hyperbole intended. The Black Princeís modest owners donít advertise this privilege, but if you inquire gently over your morning breakfast, they will regale you with the story of their parentsí wartime bicycle escape to Southern France and their fashioning with their bare hands of this house of rock into a refuge for their artist friends--some who clearly left behind tokens of their esteem. How incredible that the owners share these objects of love with guests; never before, or since, have we felt so respected as travelers. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Live like a true prince in Les Baux

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions