this is why I think the Fasano is a tacky place which you should not touch with a bargepole:
- the staff try far too hard to please and look like they are forcing smiles to squeeze every cent out of you - there was a maid in our room when my girlfriend and I returned from dinner and we hadn't even spent 5 minutes in the room, definitely not touched the bed.
- I was given a paltry exchange rate at the reception which was far less than any bureau de change. Do they not know that people who stay in such hotels know perfectly well the rates of the day?
- I was charged 50 US dollars to call the airport for three minutes to confirm my flight times and terminal.
- The 'best hotel in rio' charges for internet (alot) and breakfast (alot), obliging you to sign for every last little extra. Even the cheapest hostel in a favela provides there services with the room rate and know that you don't want to be disturbed by clipboard touting staff even when you want privacy.
- The man next to me at checkout was also totally livid at the receptionist for most of the reasons above.
- There was a very seedy stain on a 'fashionable retro' armchair in the hallway - with a light shining on it. It was so disgusting I chose not to sit down.
- only go there if there if you wish to feel used.
- Go to Copacabana Palace for some real class and some real service. alternatively, even though apartment rentals have become hideously overpriced, just rent an apartment and enjoy the peace and quiet.