Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

The most magical rio spots

By edwoskin

Posted on: October 28, 2008 at 11:56PM

The Parque Lage. It's a jungle, literally, in the middle of the city. Walk into this park full of lush, Atlantic rainforest foliage and trees that form the tip of the Floresta da Tijuca, the largest protected environmental reserve in Rio State (The forest is so big that you can enter it from many sides. Parque Lage is one of them). Parque Lage was the subject of a short story by Clarice Lispector, one of Brazil's best known modernist writers. Before you hike to the secret waterfall (ask the locals where it is, it's their favorite spot), you and your friends must spend an hour lounging at the delicious and cheap cafe that is housed in a nineteenth century mansion that overlooks the entire jungle. The place is open-air and dramatic - the rapper Snoop Dogg shot a video there a few years ago. Then there's Santa Teresa, the artists' neighborhood (For those of you who know Williamsburg, Brooklyn, it is the Williamsburg of Rio). Santa Teresa is the only middle class neighborhood in Rio that sits on a hill and therefore offers that literally breath-taking views that gave this city its nickname Cidade Maravilhosa (marvelous city). The rest of the hillside neighborhoods are shantytowns, but Santa Teresa was where the 19th century gentry of Rio kept their mansions. Today, artists - sometimes 20 at a time - live in this amazing, moss-covered mansions. The cobblestones streets of Santa Teresa wind and wind. You can take them all the way to the top of the mountain, where you will find a helicopter launching pad, a beautiful forest-filled waterall, and a high school located in a castle. A bit farther from the beach and just above busy downtown (Centro), Santa Teresa is Rio's best kept secret. SO those are some of my favorite travel tips! report a problem

You are posting a reply to The most magical rio spots

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions