Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Rome for the Holidays

By Guest

Posted on: October 08, 2008 at 3:58PM

In Rome last year during Christmas, I was at a serious loss for good, dependable food and found a restaurant close to the basilica of Sant Andrea della Valle that was always open, friendly, affordable and excellent! The name of the restaurant is Tosca (big surprise!) and it has frescoes decorated with scenes from the opera. So if you are up for a visit to the church, it is definitely worth stopping in for a great meal. When I was there they had an enormous buffet spread of antipasti, pasta, fish and meat that was just out of this world. So after going there once and then being at a loss to find other places that were open 2 days before Christmas and afterwards, I was always able to depend on them for great service and food. Plus, they were playing various versions of Puccini's opera and were close to major sights...what's not to like?! report a problem

Posted on: October 08, 2008 at 5:09PM

Christmas is a family holiday in Rome and many Romans are away with Mama. One pleasant Roman thing to do is to visit the Presepi or Christmas creches in almost every church. Children will be delighted as well as adults with childlike awe..Some have running streams and lights that change from daylight through starry nights. Among the many celebration--Santa Maria in Aracoeli, far up the stairs near the Campidoglio. Roman children recite poems to the baby Jesus. Crowded Christmas Eve..Book a hotel in the center, that is, near the Pantheon, to be able to walk everywhere.. Travel agents say everything is central but tourist hotels are not. (I consider Central to be walking not cab or metro distance) Get a map and go on line to venere.it for one to reserve . One tourist hotel not far from the center is the Visconti,, across the Tiber from the Spanish Steps area. Check with the hotel on restaurants as many will be closed.

You are posting a reply to Rome for the Holidays

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions