Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Fabulous Wine Region

By Guest

Posted on: October 09, 2008 at 3:03PM

The wine region near Cape Town is a lush paradise for wine lovers and non wine lovers alike. The vegetation, breathtaking landscape and the Dutch-style constructions not to mention the restaurants, wineries and small hotels make of this a fabulous sector a must when visiting Cape Town. There are many sub-regions, although the three most famous are Paarl, Franschoek and Stellenbosch. In order to be able to visit as many wineries as possible as well as wander the cozy streets of Stellenbosch and maybe have dinner too, one must take a full day and dedicate it to the wine region. My suggestion would be to taste different wines in some of the wineries, there are too many but these are the ones I visited in one day and I know its perfectly doable: Meerlust, Ernie Els, Plaisir de Merle, Thelema and Rupert & Rothschild. Have lunch at Fairview, which is also a winery but has the most delicious cheese EVER and they put together amazing plates for lunch that youd be remembering years down the line. Spend the rest of the afternoon in the Historical Town Centre of Stellenbosch and do some shopping around Merriman Avenue, Bird and Dorp Street, which have all sorts of African crafts, beautiful boutiques, leather, furniture. Last but not least, to wrap up the day in the best possible way, have dinner at The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais, one of the best restaurants in the world, inner which, of course, must be accompanied by a delicious South African wine. You will always remember this day and will consider it one of the highlights of all your trips. report a problem

Posted on: January 29, 2011 at 5:25PM

If you are in Cape Town, you must visit Cape Winelands. Stellenbosch town itself is not small and lovely time, it's more like a small industrial-shop town, so if you are looking for a small sweet town, go to Franschoek - it a little french village/town tucked in between the panoramic hills and winelands - there is a good chance that one your way you'll be driving through real clouds. It feels like you have been transported to Europe. There are also many good restaurant (although they tend to close during the after lunch-until dinner time). You absolutely must order their local pinotage wine - the wine makers in South Africa are very proud of it. Also, we took a wine tour in one of the oldest wineries - Spier Estate in Stellenbosch. There are three kinds according to the prices - from table wine tasting to reserve wine tasting. Mind that reserve wine tasting should be reserved and the time for it is fixed, so call before arriving. Spier Estate is a small village itself - it has cheetah sanctuary, 3 restaurants, accommodation facilities, picnic lawns, deli restaurant and wine shop. They also ship your wine to Europe.

Posted on: August 21, 2009 at 10:40PM

The area is even nicer than NAPA, and a lot cheaper. Fabulous B&B

Posted on: February 10, 2009 at 7:16PM

Thank you so much for the review of Cape Town's wine region. I'll be visiting in September and will take your advise.

Posted on: October 28, 2008 at 1:33AM

Try the pinotage variety while visiting. Very unique wine.

You are posting a reply to Fabulous Wine Region

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions