Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Granada-so nice in the spring

By granadachef

Posted on: May 04, 2010 at 5:09PM

It's so nice here in the spring in Granada. Today is Cruces, The Day of the Cross and there are many crosses set up around the city in the squares decorated with flowers and things. The children looking after one cross asked me for some money and gave me a fresh broad bean in return. There are also many people dressed in Flamenco dresses and lots of man roaming the streets on horse back or with horse and carts. Out in the countryside there are broadbeans being sold on the side of the road by the local farmers along with fresh onions and the last of the sensational Alcachofas or Artichokes. grandadchef.comTry pan frying fresh artichokes in some olive oil and rock salt, delicious! The oranges and lemons from the Lecrin valley have mostly been sold now but the beautiful asparagus from Huetor Tajar is still brilliant, I love it blanched in boiling water for a minute and eating it hot or otherwise asparagus soup is also one of my favorites. The strawberries from Huelva are starting to get good now too, yum! Out in the country side everything is sooo green. The long grassses are swaying in the winds and the almond and cherry trees now have their leaves on after spectacular blossom displays. Finally the dams have all filled again after all of the winter rain, the swimming this summer up at the Guejar lake shoud be great. The Sierra Nevada is still fully covered in snow and the rivers in the valleys raging with all of the snow melt. Over in the Alpujarras the Guadalfeo is raging and black with the sediment that's coming down with the melting snow. Did you know that there is a plant here that looks exactly like an artichoke plant but doesn't produce nice artichokes and instead you eat the broad spikey leaves like you would spinach leaves. The country side is bursting with life this spring time in Granada. The red poppies in the fields are mezmerizing, and all of the other wild flowers are like a multi coloured carpet across the land. The migrating birds are coming back and we've had some recent sightings of Golden Eagles and Booted Eagles up at Guejar Sierra, also a delightful flock of bee eaters was seen in the Alpujarras last Friday. The thousands of Flamingos at Fuente de Piedra and near Campillos are also a sight to be seen this year. Come on down to Granada. You'll have a great time! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Granada-so nice in the spring

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions