Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Robbed in Barcelona - has it happened to you?

By Guest

Posted on: August 30, 2011 at 4:09PM

After planning a 40th anniversary trip to Barcelona for 4 months, after reading every crime warning we could access, we thought we were ready to "discover" the real Barcelona. ON DAY 8 WE DISCOVERED WE HAD BEEN ROBBED. In our rental car, we were victims of the "Flat Tire scam". The disappointment was not the loss, as much as the realization that the city seems powerless to stem the tourist crime in the city! The scam: Thieves spot a tourist in a car, puncture the tire on the car, as the driver gets out to check/fix the tire - your bags are stolen. I our case, the deception was a "good Samaritan" offering help - as an additional diversion. AVIS provided no verbal or transactional paperwork warning of the crimes even though an employee at the police station said the crime occurs more than 8 times/week. An AVIS agent explained that he previously warned customers verbally, but had stopped that practice. AVIS actually added insult to injury by charging well over $100 for the tire repair. The police required 3 separate visits to the station (8+hrs) to complete information for the report & still filed an incorrect report. While visiting the Consulate, to replace stolen passports, we filled out a standard pre-printed form that had a "Check Box" for the exact crime we experienced (same in the police station) - that's how common this robbery scam has become. My wife & I were well aware of the pick pocket warnings & prepared accordingly, but the Flat Tire Scam was a surprise. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Robbed in Barcelona - has it happened to you?

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions