Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By eddieschumann

Posted on: October 01, 2008 at 1:00AM

This is really a general tip but I discovered it in Japan because I would always forage for breakfast rolls or the like and bring it back to our hotel room. Most rooms come with two crucial items - a coffee pot and a hair dryer. We are tea drinkers and typically bring our own tea bags. (Tip 1 is to run a couple of carafes of water through the coffee maker to get the coffee taste out some. Remove the filter portion, if you can to just let the hot water fill the carafe.) While the water boils, take your bag of cold breakfast rolls or croissants and use the hair dryer to warm 'em up. Just blow the hot air into the bag a few minutes. It works great and soon you'll have hot tea and warm rolls for breakfast in bed! report a problem

Posted on: October 08, 2008 at 6:47PM

Most of the hotel rooms I stayed at in Japan procide a "hot water pot" which boils water and keeps it hot. The hotel rooms usually provide instant tea bags along with instant coffee packets. Tokyo provides an extensive railway system(s). One does need to study it before hopping on the train to avoid getting lost. Local people are polite and they do try to help but mostly speak very limited English. Shinjuku is a "must visit" place for first time visitors with its lights, shopping and beauty of a city. However, I had my wallet stolen once at the train station. It will really help if one brings along a Japanese speaking person when reporting to the police station.

Posted on: October 01, 2008 at 9:33AM

- Learn to say "thank you" in japanese, it is a small gesture that goes a long way. - See "Lost in Translation" before you visit, it will prepare you for some of the cultural differences you will experience - Subway closes at 2am, and is huge, have a english subway map or pay for expensive taxi home - The city is great, a must see!

You are posting a reply to Eating in

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions