Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By linmbb

Posted on: November 08, 2008 at 5:28PM

I lived in Japan as a child and was thrilled to be able to visit again this past spring. I am still in LOVE with this country! One thing that I noted of many "tourists" in Japan was misunderstanding the common courtesies of these incredible people. And it led to an amusing incident. A gal in our group commented, "I can't get over how friendly the Japanese are, but they keep saying 'HI' no matter what I say or do!" Shows again, it's always helpful to learn a little bit of the language as well as the customs of the country you are visiting! Of course, all of these Japanese people she had met were not saying "HI" at all, but rather ' HAI ' meaning YES! because, as I think I saw posted somewhere else, the Japanese are very concious of being polite and correct and not losing face...so they will tell you YES for just about EVERYTHING you say or ask or do! They hate to say NO even when that is what they MEAN...kinda like, "yes, we have no bananas! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Japan in general

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions