Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By annemalp

Posted on: November 05, 2008 at 3:51PM

We traveled to Italy in January 2008, primarily to visit Rome and Florence. We divided our time between each city, staying 2 nights in Florence, and 2 nights in Rome, however, we spent the majority of time in a small town, mid-way between each city, called Orvieto. It is a beautiful, little town, built upon what used to be a medieval fortress- the roads, walls, and buildings are all made of ancient bricks. There are very nice hotels, and bed-and-breakfasts, that are much more reasonably priced than the larger cities, and we found the service to be excellent! You can walk to anything- in fact, driving through the narrow streets seems a bit scary to me! The food/restaurants are outstanding, and the prices are reasonalbe- Orvieto is surrounded by vineyards, and they are famous for growing truffles- we sampled both wine and truffles, and were not disappointed! The streets are very safe- we observed many people walking at night by themselves-young and old. There are a few sights to see, and some great shops to vist, but it is also easy to hop on a train or rent a car for a day trip to Rome, Florence, or a number of cities that are near, then return to your centrally located hometown for a relaxing evening. There is even a small university that offers study abroad programs to students from Kansas and Arizona, so you can always find someone to help with the language. Another great tip- we thought the best pizza in all of Italy was from inside the train station at the bottom of town! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Money saving tip!

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions