Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Want Venice to Yourself?

By mhenderson

Posted on: October 13, 2008 at 12:50AM

I post this tip here about Venice because that's where I stumbled upon something magical, but it can work anywhere. Thanks to jetlag, I awoke before dawn one morning in Venice, Italy. Unable to return to sleep, I decided to get up with the sun and wander around town until a cafe opened. But what this magnificent city was about to offer was unexpected. As I crossed the Accademia Bridge en route to San Marcos Square, I first noticed the still silence. Then I realized it - I was alone with the city. The canals and bridges, the stunning architecture, the web of walkways were all mine! Even the early morning light was perfect for taking photos, with bright colors and long, dramatic shadows. Every corner yielded yet another glorious shot - brilliant colors illuminated by rays of sunlight, open windows flanked by green shutters, window boxes spilling over with blooming flowers. I continued meandering my way thru a morning never to be forgotten, until the aroma of fresh-brewing coffee led me to the nearest café. As I sat sipping my cappucino, I felt deeply rewarded for something I hadn’t even planned or asked for. Although this extraordinary moment of savoring Venice to myself lasted hardly an hour before Venetian life awakened, it remains an absolute favorite travel highlight. So wake up with the dawn and see the town. This works anywhere. report a problem

Posted on: October 25, 2008 at 3:26PM

What a glorious discovery....and what a wonderful A-ha moment to share with others...travelers or not. Yes...Venice is one of those breathtakingly unique places in the world. It is a city filled with wonderment and suprise around every corner; especially in the silence of the early morning before the bustle begins. However, one's awareness and willingness for discovery is heightened when one's perspective is changed. Take time to enjoy your surroundings... wherever you are right now. Travel and "Be" in that moment Presently. It is a continued reminder to us all.

You are posting a reply to Want Venice to Yourself?

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions