Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By Guest

Posted on: August 25, 2009 at 6:30PM

Arrive early (6 or 7 am), before the fog lifts. The Venice fog is like the paper on the best present you will ever receive. Meander aimlessly. Venice is full of alleys and pathways waiting to be discovered. As you meander notice the Venetians beginning to wake and bustle about. This is the best time to really grasp the culture as the tourists have yet to arrive and the typical "tourist trap" stores are not yet open. Perhaps you will be as lucky as I was to come across a group of school children and their mothers heading to class. Little kids are the same in any language.. Cute as can be! Next find a locals cafe for coffee and croissants... again, no tourists REAL VENETIANS! It is now 8 or 8:30 make your way to the fish market ( there is a wonderful cafe just before you enter with a handsome owner). Still not many tourist and the catch is still arriving. By now the fog has lifted and as you pass through the market you have your first clear glimpse of the Grand Canal and its blue water and Gondolas waiting for the tourist crowd to arrive. (tip: don't pay full price for any boat ride). Most of the Gondoliers are local and speak english, get to know them and find out where they recommend to eat. Again, avoid the tourist traps. The food is amazing especially the pizza.... Forget your diet and eat your way through the day! Venice is the most wondrous place to get lost in. Walk with no agenda and enjoy!! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Ahhh Venice!

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions