Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Gondola Rides in Venice

By Guest

Posted on: September 01, 2009 at 5:48PM

A visit to Venice is not complete without taking a gondola ride. These are my tips for getting trying to get a better deal and having a good experience. 1) Try going further inside the city's inner canals to find a gondola that isn't in the busiest/popular area and try to negotiate a lower rate. 2) Rates should be for the whole gondola for up to 6 people and not a per person rate. (I have been quoted 60, 80, 120, and 150 euro during different visits). 3) Try to negotiate a good rate early in the morning by 9:00 a.m. when there aren't too many people trying to use their services. 4) After 7:00 p.m. expect to pay more than the daily rate since it's the night time...more romantic, etc. 5) If you want a singing gondolier, keep asking a different one until you find one. 6) I've been charged extra for going out on the Grand Canal rather than just staying in the smaller canals. 7) Winter visits can possibly offer a more discounted rate than summer visits assuming that there isn't a huge crowd there that day) . 8) If you can't afford the traditonal gondola ride, then by all means you must try the traghetto, which is the gondola that basically just crosses the canal to get to the other side. This was 50 euro cents last time I used the service. The locals stand going across, but may ask the tourists to sit. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Gondola Rides in Venice

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions