Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Traveling with small children

By Guest

Posted on: November 05, 2008 at 11:41PM

We visited Washington, D.C. on a family vacation with 3 children under the age of 4; and I was pregnant with our 4th baby! We always plan our trips around public modes of transportation (subway, bus, train) to avoid having to carry car seats through every stage of our journey, and this was a great destination for such a goal. Most places we walked to from our hotel, and where we couldn't walk, the bus and subway system was fantastic. Always in the past, I would pack bags just for the kids' items of entertainment, like crayons, plastic action figures, playdoh, DVD player and movies, but this trip was different, and has set the standard for all our trips since then. Now, when we leave our house, the kids (babies excluded) get their own empty backpack. This serves as a "treasure chest" for all the items they may find along our journey. We've found coins, baseball tickets, rocks, pens from the hotels, coloring books from restaurants, trinkets we would purchase, and most importantly, brochures of where we've been or where they'd like to go. The kids love the idea of keeping their eyes peeled for treasure, and we love the fact we no longer have to pack toys, and the cost of buying "treasures" has practically dimished. The money we've saved on not buying novelty items from our travel destinations has allowed us to afford going on other trips. Who knew kids would need so little to keep them amused?! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Traveling with small children

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions