Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

I'd rather stay in town than a huge resort

By Guest

Posted on: August 25, 2009 at 7:10PM

I went to Playa Del Carmen earlier this month with some friends and stayed at the Grand Mayan Riviera Mayan. While the resort is expansive and the pools endless, the beach isn't very nice and the food was not the authentic Mexican I was hoping for. It is resort food catered towards the masses. I felt stuck out on the resort with no easy way to get into town or to a nice beach or to the sights without having to be a sheep in a guided tour. I need a little more flexibility and freedom on my vacations to be able to wander around and explore on my own, and find food at local spots. These huge resorts are limiting. I can see how it might appeal to a family with young children who aren't as interested in getting around and seeing things on their own. I feel like there is too much to see and do and taste and experience to be locked up to one distant location. Also, the time share hounds are merciless if you agree to attend their presentation, which we only did for the promised 10% discount off our purchases. And PS - you have to pay for everything there. Everything. You are stuck out on a compound - and while lovely - you have little freedom to make your own decisions about what/where you can eat and buy, and it will all cost you extra. report a problem

Posted on: September 07, 2009 at 9:39PM

I love the small community of Akumal, about 20 minutes south of Playa del Carmen. There are several small hotels, and lots of condo and villa rentals available. The beach is lovely, and there's a lagoon perfect for snorkeling; several very good restaurant, and some nice shops. It's centrally located on the riviera Maya, and a great place to spend an unstructured vacation.

Posted on: August 31, 2009 at 11:47AM

I like resorts because, well, they offer resort amenities. But just staying put in one seems counter to the reason for travel. A big part of my enjoyment for any vacation, is discovery and exploration, especially as it relates to meeting locals and listening to some of their "tips" on the area. If all one wants to do is stay at their resort, I'm not sure if it is worth the price to fly somewhere and pay the prices.

You are posting a reply to I'd rather stay in town than a huge resort

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions