Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Royal Hideaway Playacar...best luxury all inclusive experience

By Guest

Posted on: September 02, 2009 at 11:36PM

The Royal Hideaway was our first luxury all-inclusive resort and it exceeded our expectations. If you are looking for relaxation, good food, excellent service, and happiness, this is your spot. [October 2007] Check-in: so smooth, welcoming, and simple. I wanted to check in again every day! Accommodations: My husband and I stayed in a 1st floor junior suite in Villa 29 (Las Azucenas). Our villa had no more than 24 rooms. The room was exactly as it looks on the hotel site.: beautiful, clean, and elegant island decor. It was spacious enough for us to stretch out, store baggage, and not feel like we were going to fall over one another. I loved the bathroom layout (shower closet, whirlpool bathtub (standard sized tub), plantation doors). Our “Royal Memories” package included Bvlgari amenities and the super soft Royal Hideaway robes to take home. When we walked into the room, it felt like they really were happy to have us there and they were ready to attend to our every need. If you get a 1st floor room, try not to get one with the service path in the rear; it can get a bit noisy as they are transporting items to/from various locations on the site. Oh, the room veranda was also great; but go for a 2nd floor room with a hammock. Dining: I would definitely recommend dining on the beach as the highlight of the dining experiences (included in our package). I also recommend the breakfast buffet at Spices. The wait staff (Alphonso, Victor, Salvador, Jaime and hosts Cynthia and Marisol) at the restaurants were great and ensured that we were fine. The attentiveness by the staff was not annoying, but they will ask how things are going and pay attention when you even look like you have a question. Concierge This was the very reason our stay went smoothly. Antonio was the concierge for our villa and he made it happen! He ensured we remembered our dinner reservations; reminded us about various features of our package that we had forgotten/not scheduled; and gave us sincere recommendations. Service: I can't say enough how well this resort shows attention to detail; from noting the occasion of our visit (5th wedding anniversary), to the turndown service; to ensuring the room was welcoming every time we returned. I loved this. In fact, everyone knew our names pretty much every where we went. Beach at the Resort: For relaxation, go no further than sitting on the beach. There were plenty of lounge chairs and cabanas. The pools are steps away from the beach. The beach wait staff never forgot about us and there were activities when we were ready. I liked the bocce ball and the pastry/craft lessons offered by the staff. Shopping: Royal Hideaway is close to the little town of Playa del Carmen (5 minute taxi ride; 20 minute walk). If you want to pick up some souvenirs (with little authenticity), go to Fifth Avenue (Avenida Quinta) and negotiate - do not pay full price for anything (unless you want to). I picked up some nice hand-painted tiles for our kitchen. The various store owners will call out to you to buy stuff (though I was not bothered by this because they were not aggressive or rude). Do not buy anything at the resort shop; the items are available for much less from Avenida Quinta vendors. There was also some artwork at the resort and off of Avenida Quinta – be ready for $300 (USA). Airport: Nice airport, but stay away from the resort peddlers at the exit. Go straight out the door to the shuttles or to the shuttle counter. The peddlers look very official; the airport allows them to have space near the ground transportation. They are not mean, but know that unless their official name tag says the name of a ground transportation company, they work for one of the resorts. Entertainment This is not a “party” resort; it is for simple activities, relaxation, excellent service, and food. The Mexico Fiesta at Club Royale left a lot to be desired; you won't miss anything if you skip this. If you want a bit of the authentic Yucatan, take a tour. We went with the Cancun Line tour company on an excursion to Chichen Itza and it was nice; included food, and souvenir shopping opportunities. In fact, other people we met said their off-resort tours were great, especially the tours to Xel-ha and Tulum. Guests The resort had several other couples, a few girlfriends groups, but that was about it. We never had any problem with noise from the folks at this resort (though you may hear a party at one of the two neighboring resorts at night). Other Perks: Wireless internet is available. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Royal Hideaway Playacar...best luxury all inclusive experience

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions