Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Inexpensive souveniers

By thepixinator

Posted on: September 09, 2009 at 8:44AM

If you get tired of the usual cow bells and chocolate bars while souvenier-shopping in Switzerland, I found some fun, inexpensive alternatives by accident. Also, the Swiss franc was closer in value to the dollar than the Euro when I was there last year, and I think it still is a bargain compared to the Euro, While mailing postcards at the post office (so they would have a Swiss postmark), I discovered they sell cute items like miniature Post buses and smart cars for about 8-20 francs; and stamps don't cost much at all, and make fun gifts. At Migros, the Swiss grocery chain, they sell large re-usable/re-cycled totes that have colorful scenes, like tulips, printed on the outside, and they only cost about 2.50 Swiss francs. They are huge, roomy totes with two sets of handles, long and short, and they are also great for hauling all your souvenier loot back home in on the plane. Migros also sells band-aids with the Swiss cross, and every imaginable flavor of Ricolas in little boxes (I love the holunderbluten (elder flower)) in the purple boxes. The Swiss toiletries are also high quality, like lotions and shampoos, and don't cost much. I can't remember what store we were in when we found the large assortment of Sigg bottles, but there all all kinds of bottles with red-and-white images on the outside, like horn-blowers and skiiers, that are totally Swiss. If you are walking around and stumble on a pet supply store, there is a brand of leashes and collars called Swiss Pet, and I got my dog a leash with the Swiss cross woven into the nylon in different shades of red with white (about 17 francs). I also stumbled upon a consigment/vintage/thrift store while walking around and found a large assortment of mens work shirts from various public works systems for re-sale, and I got a blue and orange one for myself that was originally worn by a worker on the bus service in the Dordogne region of France. It sounds ugly and weird, but they are actually really cool and different, make good jackets, and only cost about 25 francs. If a couple of hundred francs is a bargain to you, then nothing beats the Rossi store for a Swiss gift. Their bags are durable and attractive, are very Swiss, and change each season. At the airport sundries store I found chapsticks with the Swiss cross on the tube, and I wish I had bought a case of the orange-flavored gum they sold for myself. Postcards also make good souveniers because I can almost always find some with pictures of a scene I forgot to photograph, and the pictures usually look better than the ones I take. Writing down remembrances on the backs of them gives me something to do on the 8-hour flight back home. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Inexpensive souveniers

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions